Monday, July 21, 2008

Mary Ann's Story


I want to share one of my life’s greatest accomplishments, being a 17 year survivor of breast cancer. It has been a long hard journey, one that I don’t want to travel through again, but along the way I have had many positive experiences.


My journey began with me finding a lump in my breast, being diagnosed with cancer, having a mastectomy in December of 1989 followed by 6 sessions of chemo therapy. Telling my family that I had breast cancer was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. The look of fear in their eyes is something that I will always remember. In January of 1990 I began chemo which consisted of two treatments a week apart and then three weeks off before the next session began for a total of twelve treatments. The treatments were hard, I would get sick, depressed, I was tried all of the time and just when I was starting to get better it was time for another treatment. The children were scared and wondering what life would be like without me. Ryan at 15 grew quiet and always had a frightened look in his eyes. Paul, age 8 was angry, scared and worried about who would take care of him. He told his teacher, “At least my dad can cook so we won’t starve.” During this time I decided we needed a diversion so that our attention could be focused on something happier than my health. It was a time in my life when I could have anything I asked for and I was dumb enough to ask for a dog. We got a buff colored cocker spaniel puppy that lifted everyone’s spirits. It felt good to hear laughter and see the boys smile. She became an integral part of our family and gave us many years of enjoyment.


I could not have made it through this ordeal without the love, prayers, and support of my wonderful family and friends. They drove me to treatments, provided meals after treatments, and were there for help and support in any need that arose. I became close friends with two people that were also going through treatments for breast cancer at the same time. We would get together once a week for coffee or lunch and share our feelings, fears, laughter, and experiences. This was the beginning of a support group that still meets today. Our group has grown through the years. We never want new members, but we always welcome them and share a special bond. Cancer survivors are like a sorority in that we belong to a club that brings you together because of a common entity. We have lost some good friends along the way who will always be remembered and have met many new friends whom we treasure.


As the months turn into years since that fateful day, I can say that breast cancer has taught me many things. You start to evaluate your life in terms of other misfortunes and realize how lucky you are. For the first few years, I couldn’t have a headache without worrying that I had a brain tumor or wondering when the cancer would come back. At some point I realized that I wasn’t in control and would have to take things as they come. My family is also a survivor. My children learned during this time that THINGS are not important. That was a good lesson for them to learn, I just wish it hadn’t been under the circumstances that it was. Watching both of them graduate from high school, college, and become responsible adults was a thrill I never thought I would be able to enjoy. When people make comments about me getting old, I thank God that I am getting old. I have always felt lucky that I only had cancer. I did not need to worry about my job, about paying bills, or insurance. I had the love and support of family and friends to carry me through. Many people have to keep working because of insurance and their insurance does not cover well. They are unable to take a paid leave from work. I was able to use accumulated sick leave. My job would be waiting for me. I had a strong support system that I could count on. Looking at your own mortality changes your perspective of life. You think about how you will be remembered and what is really important in life. That is a good thing.


Many people have been touched by cancer in some way. We each have our own story. My story is no different, I am just very fortunate it has a happy ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home